Good morning, everyone - For some reason I've been having unusually high numbers of Mourning Doves at my feeders, regularly 15-20 and up to 45 (!!) one morning. There's no corn in the seed mix and I don't scatter seed on the ground. The doves are hanging out under the feeders that the ravenous redpolls use; they're also teetering on a large tube feeder with a tray that holds nothing but safflower seed. (The doves appear to have a night roost among grape vines at the back of my property, which they use during the summer also.)

As for redpolls, I took a photo of what I think "is" a Hoary along with a Common, which is posted in the third row down at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/86960264@N05/

The bird in the middle of the photo has a frosty appearance with thin or missing striping on the sides. However, most times there isn't such a clearly white one - just, as Sibley says, a continuum. The bigger "Greenland" subspecies is darkest and others range from that. It will be interesting to watch over the next couple of years and see if there is indeed scientific agreement that there's only one Redpoll.

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center