Hello - Today I spent a long time studying a grebe at Charlotte Town Beach. There was a Horned Grebe there, but there was also a grebe that caught my attention because it looked different. It had much more black on the head. The eye was completely surrounded by black, and the line between black and white on the side of the face had a large downward dip, making much of the cheek black. The bird was quite close to shore when I first saw it, but it dove almost constantly and was down for long periods of time - and it kept moving further out. Whenever it was visible, I was concentrating so much on the head that I never really studied the rest of the body. At one point, I thought it had too much white on the front of the neck to be an Eared Grebe, but I'm not sure. I'd love it if someone else were to locate and ID the bird!

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center