Thanks for your reply, Jane.

I lived in the woods in Vershire last 1.5 years, in a small clearing.  There
had never been a bird feeder there before I put one out last winter about
this time, and we had birds within a few days.

I haven't heard or seen any raptors here, although there were regular
sightings and calls from them in Vershire that slowed down the feeding about
30 seconds. There are safe perch options very close to the feeders here, as
I had last year.

I will be patient - mostly I was concerned that perhaps they were blown away
by Sandy as I heard a rumor that the bird count was low. Perhaps the results
are fully published today.

cheers,
Berry