Tom Johnson is now hedging on his observation about the Common
Pochard.  The standard should be wild until proven otherwise; there is
no evidence that this rarity that Sandy probably deposited in the USA is
of captive origin.  Lesson from this event - don't post non-factual
information!  Enjoy the beautiful bird!!!

NYSbirders,
I appreciate Andy Guthrie for posting our observations of the pochard's
leg band earlier today. While watching the duck through my scope in
Port Henry, several of us thought that the band on the bird's right leg
appeared to be a white plastic-type band; however, analysis of photos
shows that it is apparently a metal ring of some kind. I don't know
what this means with regards to this individual's origin story, but
hopefully some further investigation of ringing practices of wild
pochards as well as aviculture-type bands will shed some light on the
matter. While the provenance of this bird is unknown at this point,
what is certain is that this is a fantastic looking duck and one surely
worthy of study.
Additionally, the dynamic waterfowl scene around Port Henry/ Champlain
Bridge is awe-inspiring right now.
Chris Wood will add some photos of the pochard from Port Henry today
(including some that show the leg band) here:  flickr.com/pinicola

Cheers,
Tom

--
Tom Johnson