Hi,

Thank you for all your e-mails about the winter birds in Vermont this winter season.
Last weekend (Jan. 19-21) I visited VT from NJ to look for Bohemian Waxwings.
I started at So. Burlington --> Hinesburg --> Middlebury -->Rutland --> Pittsford, and then East to Windsor (and all points inbetween).
No Bohemians, but found 100+ Pine Grosbeaks in Technology Park in So. Burlington, and 6 on the side of a yard on Webster Rd.
The most common bird found were chickadees (Black-capped, of course).  Found a male kestrel in Pittsford on a utility wire near Kendall Hill Road.

It was fun.  Amazingly cold...which came down here when I got home on Monday...the coldest it's been here for probably a year.  I noticed that there was more snow in East of Rutland in the area of route 100, than anywhere else in VT (and more than anywhere along route 87 in NY, and more than anywhere along 91 to the South).
Put on a good 777.7 miles on the car, so not only did I tour the state, but perhaps it really was a good trip!
No Bohemians...perhaps another year!

-Ray Soff
Saddle Brook, NJ