 From: Thomas Berriman <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Birds and cats etc.

"My point in all of this, expressed badly apparently, is simply to ask
people to keep this in perspective.  Cats kill lots of birds and small
mammals, but every study we have in this country that I've seen, it
turns out that those birds and mammals are overwhelmingly common species
that are abundant and in no danger whatsoever."

Thank you Veer for posting this report  and to all the contributers with their comments today.   I was just going to do the safe thing and watch the fireworks from the sideline but what the heck, I've got 2 cents worth. Kevin is exactly right..he should have some recourse for dealing with feral and house pets invading his property. I believe Fish and Wildlife allows for the elimination of nuisance wildlife (bears, turkeys, deer etc,) that continually damage a farmers crops. Pet owners have to choose wether their cat is 'wildlife' or house pet, they don't get to have it both ways. As wildlife when those pets don't come home because they've been eliminated while being part of the natural wildlife order (by whatever or whoever) then those pet owners should accept and understand that outcome.

I've come to have an understanding with mice. They get all of the outdoors and my barn. If they come in the house depending on what kind of mood I'm in, they may be trapped in a 'havaheart' cage and transported miles away or they may be stuck in 'glue traps' and then drown. With cats (and I've only seen 2 in 10 years on my 13 acres) we go to war. I will run them down on foot, picking up rocks and throwing the whole time.

But I do take some issue with the above statement. I don't care that there may not be a study showing some of our common species in decline and in danger because of cat predation. It's almost like saying, keeping things in perspective: there are 7 billion common humans, they are abundant and in no danger whatsoever if a million or 2 million of them die from a cause that could have been prevented. I do not mean to compare humans to birds or any other species... just that... because something is not in danger of extinction doesn't mean we shouldn't control the 'invasive' species that is preying on it.

oh well. sigh,
Tom Berriman