Well said. And let's not confuse the issue by pointing out that there are lots of other factors affecting bird populations besides cats. Extinction often involves multiple factors interacting with one another. Furthermore, we do not get to choose which species that cats attack. The cats choose. I don't want to see a study that shows that cat predation has led to the extinction of bird species "x". I want to keep common birds common. At 2.4 billion birds a year it is obvious that cats cause serious depredation of bird populations.

Bruce MacPherson
South Burlington

-----Original Message-----
From: Marvin Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
To: VTBIRD <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed, Jan 30, 2013 6:20 pm
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Birds and cats etc.

I too strongly support keeping cats indoors for their own protection and that of
wildlife. No one has mentioned the program and materials available from the
American Bird Conservancy  http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/cats/index.html. We
too have gone through the frustration of dealing with neighbors cats hunting
birds at our feeders. Fortunately for us the problem has gone away but I know it
is only temporary. A new neighbor, a new cat, and the problem is back. Maybe now
is the time to try to change our laws? All of our talk on the list will make us
feel better but let's use our energy on our local and state legislatures. Many
more feel the way we do. Lets protect the cats by keeping them indoors. What
domestic animal should reasonably be allowed to roam at will? How many times to
we have to repeat the problems associated with introduced species to know we
have to stop.
Marv Elliott

Marvin Elliott
Vermont Birdhouses and Wood Products