Let's not forget that cats are only doing what comes naturally.  To talk of "eliminating" them or "run them down on foot picking up rocks and
throwing the whole time" is not only cruel and inhumane, but illegal!
Please do not  punish the felines because of the ignorance or
indifference of their owners.  Try to have a conversation with
neighbors.  If you have it give them literature about the health and
benefits of keeping cats indoors.  Try to keep feeders in areas where
there is no cover for a cat to hide, etc.  If feral or stray cats are
problems please call your local humane society.  They may be willing to
humanely trap the offender(s) and bring them to the shelter. I agree
that cats should be kept inside whenever possible.  I have 3
myself, all indoors, and all very much cherished.  I also have feeders,
and a neighbor cat that I have to occasionally shoo away.  I do take
precautions and keep my feeders in the open and so any ground feeding
birds have a fighting chance.  Walking my dogs on our property several
times a day helps keep cats away too.  Thank you!!  Pam