Agree about Bridget's book.  Thanks to Birds and Beans, many of us got to meet her up close on her tour through our area.  Incredible depth of experience, and ability to share her knowledge.

Another favorite of mine was Miyoko Chu's, "Songbird Journeys: Four Seasons in the Lives of Migratory Birds"

And more recently, John Mazluff's "Gifts of the Crow".  If you think you know crows and how they work, Mazluff takes our understanding to a new level.  And if you can read this without making many many parallels to how humans and other animals "operate", I'll be amazed.

Sorry to interrupt the cat chain for a little book sharing, but I thought others might enjoy these books.

Scott Sainsbury

PS we've had barn cats on the farm over the years, but after learning about how destructive they really were, the last two spent the last 10 years of their lives inside.  We can change as we learn!

On Jan 31, 2013, at 8:56 AM, Barbara Brosnan wrote:

> One more recommendation that folks read Bridget Skutchbury's 2007 book
> Silence of the Songbirds.  The book is good science and covers information
> that relates to much of our discussion on VTBIRD.   I reviewed the book in
> an article in Otter Creek Audubon's "Otter Tracks."  You can find the review
> in the OCAS website "Otter Tracks" archives.  If anyone wants to borrow my
> copy, let me know!
>

> I thought my indoor/outdoor cat was just catching voles and mice and not
> birds.  However, when we saw him quickly and quietly catching and eating
> fledgling song sparrows, we decided to keep him indoors.  No problem.  He
> was content and lived to 22 years old, diabetes and all.
>

> I am glad we are having this open discussion about our human interactions
> with wildlife.
>

> Barbara Brosnan
>
> Weybridge

Scott Sainsbury