Greetings birders,

Aside from the spectacular waterfowl viewing from Champlain Bridge/Chimney Point, I just wanted to mention a couple of incidental observations from yesterday.

Just after first light, and during a blizzard, there were many Snow Buntings and Dark-eyed Juncos flushing up from the side of Rt 125 west of Bridport as I headed towards Chimney Point. I estimated about 100 Snow Buntings and with them, about 7 Lapland Longspurs. I returned by the same route on the way home just after 10am and didn't see a single bunting or longspur!

A little further south, there was a dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk hunting from roadside trees on Rt 22A in Shoreham. I managed to grab a couple of records shots from the car before it flew along the road heading north. The images can be seen in this post featuring some of yesterday's birds;
http://pioneerbirding.blogspot.com/2013/01/vt-pochard-to-gyrfalcon-0102.html

As always, I had thorougly enjoyable day of birding in Vermont and really enjoyed meeting you folks at Champlain Bridge!

Best birding,

James

James P. Smith
Gill, MA