[Please excuse the cross-postings]

Colleagues:

The Center for Cultural Pluralism presents its first screening as part
of the Spring 2013 Social Justice Film Series - "Welcome to Shelbyville"
_TODAY, Wednesday, February 6th, 2013_. Below are the details and a copy
of the film poster has been attached to help promote this program as
well as our complete series schedule. We appreciate your support.

_*Wednesday, February 6th, 2013
*_*12 PM - 104 Allen House
7:30 PM - Rm 216 Living/Learning Commons
*A brief discussion of the themes follows each screening.
*
*/*About the film: */Welcome to Shelbyville is a glimpse of America at a
crossroads. In this one small town in the heart of America's Bible Belt,
a community grapples with rapidly changing demographics. Just a stone's
throw away from Pulaski, Tennessee (the birthplace of the Ku Klux Klan),
longtime African American and white residents are challenged with how
best to integrate with a growing Latino population and the more recent
arrival of hundreds of Muslim Somali refugees. Set on the eve of the
2008 election, the town finds itself embroiled in a struggle to come to
terms with a new wave of immigrants and grappling with what it means to
be American. /[Run time: 67 minutes]/_
_/*
About the  Social Justice Film Series*/: Brought to you by the Center
for Cultural Pluralism, the Spring 2013 Social Justice Film Series theme
is/*"'Coz We Live in a Post-*//*__ *//*America?"*/ and offers
participants an educational opportunity to explore through film and
subsequent discourse and engage issues of identity in its various forms,
visible and invisible. Films selected for the Social Justice Film Series
have two viewings and are generally screened up to a half hour and
followed by an engaged discourse on the themes by the participants. To
be respectful of your time, it is our hope that this entire educational
program does not exceed ninety minutes.

/*About the Center for Cultural Pluralism:*/ Established in 1999 at the
Allen House, the Center for Cultural Pluralism (CCP) is dedicated to
helping UVM achieve its core mission to provide quality multicultural
education in order to equip faculty, staff and students with the
competencies necessary to function in a diverse world. Focusing on the
complex intersections of issues of culture and social justice, the
Center offers a unique "Cultural Hub" where individuals and
organizations working on behalf of cultural diversity and social justice
issues can collaborate and coalesce.

Join us!

Sincerely,

Dirk