[Please excuse the cross-postings]

Colleagues:

The Center for Cultural Pluralism presents its first screening as part of the Spring 2013 Social Justice Film Series - "Welcome to Shelbyville" TODAY, Wednesday, February 6th, 2013. Below are the details and a copy of the film poster has been attached to help promote this program as well as our complete series schedule. We appreciate your support.

Wednesday, February 6th, 2013
12 PM - 104 Allen House
7:30 PM - Rm 216 Living/Learning Commons
A brief discussion of the themes follows each screening.

About the film: Welcome to Shelbyville is a glimpse of America at a crossroads. In this one small town in the heart of America's Bible Belt, a community grapples with rapidly changing demographics. Just a stone's throw away from Pulaski, Tennessee (the birthplace of the Ku Klux Klan), longtime African American and white residents are challenged with how best to integrate with a growing Latino population and the more recent arrival of hundreds of Muslim Somali refugees. Set on the eve of the 2008 election, the town finds itself embroiled in a struggle to come to terms with a new wave of immigrants and grappling with what it means to be American. [Run time: 67 minutes]

About the  Social Justice Film Series
: Brought to you by the Center for Cultural Pluralism, the Spring 2013 Social Justice Film Series theme is "'Coz We Live in a Post-                America?" and offers participants an educational opportunity to explore through film and subsequent discourse and engage issues of identity in its various forms, visible and invisible. Films selected for the Social Justice Film Series have two viewings and are generally screened up to a half hour and followed by an engaged discourse on the themes by the participants. To be respectful of your time, it is our hope that this entire educational program does not exceed ninety minutes.

About the Center for Cultural Pluralism: Established in 1999 at the Allen House, the Center for Cultural Pluralism (CCP) is dedicated to helping UVM achieve its core mission to provide quality multicultural education in order to equip faculty, staff and students with the competencies necessary to function in a diverse world. Focusing on the complex intersections of issues of culture and social justice, the Center offers a unique “Cultural Hub” where individuals and organizations working on behalf of cultural diversity and social justice issues can collaborate and coalesce.

Join us!

Sincerely,

Dirk
--