Dear colleague,

I am a graduate student in the Higher Education and Student Affairs Administration (HESA) Program and conducting a research study in partial fulfillment of degree requirements.

I am currently seeking self-identifying heterosexual White undergraduate teaching faculty to participate in my research study and hoping you could help identify or if you meet the criteria be willing to participate. The purpose of this exploratory study is to understand the perceptions of classroom climate by both faculty members and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and queer (LGBQ) Students’ of Color in undergraduate university classrooms at a pre-dominantly White institution and better understand its impact on pedagogy.  As principal investigator, I hope this study may yield valuable information about how faculty can be better supported in effectively engaging with classroom diversity. Recommendations from this study could improve classroom climate and facilitate better support for faculty and consequently diverse students as well. All information from this study will be kept confidential.

In order to be eligible to participate,
-          You must be an undergraduate teaching faculty member at the University of Vermont.
-          You must self-identify as heterosexual and self-identify as White

The study will involve the following,
-         Personal interview (lasting no more than 45 minutes)
-      Submission of a teaching philosophy statement (this is something that should already exist as part of your teaching dossier/CV - no request to create something here)
-    Participation in a two-hour workshop in April at a date/time during the weekday to be determined.

If you are interested, please do contact me as soon as possible. Alternatively, if you know of anyone who might be able to participate, please let me know and I would be happy to reach out to them as well.

This research study is sponsored by the Graduate Program in Higher Education and Student Affairs, Department of Leadership and Developmental Sciences, College of Education and Social Services at the University of Vermont. The Faculty Advisor is Dr. Shametrice Davis.

Thank you for your help. If you have any questions/concerns, please do not hesitate to reach me at 802-656-7990 or via e-mail at [log in to unmask]

Dirk Rodricks
Candidate, M.Ed. Higher Education and Student Affairs’13
University of Vermont

---------
Dirk Jonathan Rodricks
Candidate, M.Ed. Higher Education & Student Affairs '13

Managing Editor, The Vermont Connection, Vol. 34

Program and Outreach Coordinator | Graduate Assistant
Center for Cultural Pluralism | University of Vermont
(802) 656-7990 (o) | (802) 825-8850 (c)