Hi VTBirders,

On a quick morning trip along Lake Champlain, I was very surprised to find
a female Wood Duck mixed in with 150-ish Mallards at Meach Cove (Shelburne
Town Beach).  She was sleeping when I spotted her, but after she woke up a
few minutes later all the obvious field marks were apparent (white
surrounding eye, smaller bill, smaller size, etc.)  The views were distant
(scope required) and heat distortion was moderate, but I got very good
views over the course of 15-ish minutes.  After she was awake and active, I
quickly lost her in the sea of Mallards.

Good birding,
Larry

--
Larry Clarfeld