By the way, Kevin, if you're frustrated by hawk ID, which is pretty
lousy in most general field guides and only a bit better in Sibley, I
hugely recommend a book called "Photographic Guide to North American
Raptors" by Wheeler and Clark.  It's about $20 in large-format paperback.

http://www.amazon.com/Photographic-Guide-North-American-Raptors/dp/069111644X

It's not only got superbly clear photographs of each raptor, male and
female, adult and immature, perched and in flight, but extremely good
condensed descriptions, including comparisons of similar birds and what
the key points of difference are-- all in about half a page of text, so
easy to scan for what you need.

Jane