Susan Shelly wrote:

> Student-employees at for-profit schools tell me they do not have the kind of library services they need to be able to use databases, search, and obtain resources. I wonder if some of these schools feel they can "dump" these educational responsibilities on hospital librarians. Frustrating; but the joy is, I get to work with highly motivated nurses!

This has been a really interesting conversation for me to follow. I heard a couple of years ago from a reference librarian in a *public* setting -- large public, big city, not in Wisconsin -- that the greatest need for health information was in her population of nursing students. Huh? I said. Turns out her city had a lot of nurses doing distance degrees who needed access to information resources.

At a big distance ed conference in Madison this past summer, I saw an excellent presentation by librarians at the University of Phoenix -- yes, THAT University of Phoenix -focused on their information literacy sessions and the ways that they introduced virtual students to their library resources. But I can absolutely believe that for-profit online schools do not do this for their students.

Catherine Arnott Smith, PhD
Associate Professor
School of Library & Information Studies
& Discovery Fellow, Living Environments Laboratory
Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery
University of Wisconsin-Madison
600 N. Park Street #4255
Madison, WI 53706