Susan's experience/approach is pretty similar to mine.  I teach them and
work with them.  Most of them have done the preliminary searches or are more
than willing to slog through the results I send them, and we hone the
results together.  We have sufficient staff to support document retrieval
and we do that for staff pursuing degrees, just as we do it for residents,
fellows, and any other member of the staff.

Assumption 1: We're talking about research that's relevant to our patients
and mission.  I don't think anyone has come in trying to "take advantage" of
my giddy love of Boolean logic.
Assumption 2: We're talking about students who have hashed out the scope of
their project with their teachers/academic advisors.  I have had a couple of
students with research topics that were all over the place, and while I
talked to them about search strategies and resources, I also gently directed
them back to their instructors.

My experience has been that the people here are committed to the mission--
they're trying to contribute to the body of knowledge that will help our
wounded warriors heal.  They're trying to do it on a tight schedule and a
crazy bureaucracy.  So I'm happy to jump in, it's why I'm here.

I understand that some places don't have the resources to do that, and I'm
grateful that (even though we're REALLY short staffed right now), I can
still lend my expertise.

Ann M. Holman, MLS
Acting Director
Darnall Biomedical Learning Resource Center
Bldg 1 Rm 3458
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
Bethesda MD
301-319-8411 (voice)
269-8411 (DSN)
295-6001 (fax)
https://nnmcintra/SiteDirectory/Darnall/
NEW EMAIL: [log in to unmask]

Linking people, reliable health sciences knowledge, and technology in
support of effective learning, quality health care, and vital research.