From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Cosart, Barbara D.
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 1:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: chat: form of address with doctors

Hello All,

This has been on my mind for a while. I always address email
correspondence to an MD or DO as Dr. So-and-so. Most of them, however,
sign their first name to their email, or even introduce themselves by
their first name. Am I being too formal? What is expected these days? I
don't want to seem rude by addressing them more formally than they
address themselves.

I hadn't thought too much of it until one of my daughters went from a
small private school (where teachers were addressed by first names) to a
regular public school, and suddenly, the teachers (to the kids) were
Mrs. R- and Mrs. M--.  My daughter's teacher is soooo much younger than
me, that I had too much of a hard time calling her Mrs. R-myself and I
address her by her first name. I don't know if that is right either.

Most of the new residents are also a lot younger than I am (I am 40),
and I was chatting with some mom friends the other day about how it
grates on our nerves to be called Ma'am.

What do you do?

_______________________________________
Barbara Cosart, MLIS, AHIP --please note new phone number!
CEC Medical Librarian for Nursing
Clinical Education Center at Brackenridge Seton Healthcare Family
1400 N. IH-35, Suite 2.303
Austin, TX 78701-1966
Phone: (512) 324-7000 x 77444
Fax: (512) 324-7654
http://intranet/clinicalres/medical_library/

NOTICE WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS: The copyright law of
the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of
photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under
certain conditions specified by law, library and archives are authorized
to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified
conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for
any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a
user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for
purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright
infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a
copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would
involve violations of the copyright law.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This email message and any accompanying data or files is confidential
and may contain privileged information intended only for the named
recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby
notified that the dissemination, distribution, and or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or
are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at the email
address above, delete this email from your computer, and destroy any
copies in any form immediately. Receipt by anyone other than the named
recipient(s) is not a waiver of any attorney-client, work product, or
other applicable privilege.
The information contained in this communication may be confidential and is intended only for the
 use of the intended recipient(s).   If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient(s),
 you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication,
 or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
 please return it to the sender immediately and delete any copy of it from your computer system.