From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jones, Erin
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 2:56 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: chat: form of address with doctors

I'm no Emily Post, but I believe you should always use "Dr." or any other title unless someone specifically says "Oh, just call me Bob."

I'd also say this goes for teachers, too, if that is they way they have indicated they wish to be addressed (which they have through your daughter)...and I'm 44.

I don't mind "Ma'am" because it's better than "dear" or "honey" which I have had much younger residents call me (aaaargh!).
I do draw the line at "Miss Erin"...unless you are below age 6 this will not stand!

Erin

Erin Jones, MEd, MSLIS
Ernst Sternfeld, MD, Medical Library
Flower Hospital