In theory, I agree with "if she signs her e-mail "Jane," then she's
Jane..." but in practice I almost always say "Dr. Smith." (I call the
residents by their first names, though.)

I remember being amused by a former resident who always called me
"Helen" unless he had medical students in tow.  Then he said "Mrs.
Houpt."

I've always disliked being called "Miss Helen."

I'm not from the South, but I live in an Army town (Carlisle - Home of
the Army War College).  My children had many friends from military
families and I've gotten used to "Ma'am," even though it was never part
of my own vocabulary as a child.  At work, I usually let it go if a
medical student who may only be here for a month calls me ma'am.  All
others, I invite them to call my by my first name.

Helen Houpt, MSLS, AHIP
Librarian
PinnacleHealth System
Library Services