From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Weiss, Ardis
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Positive indication - learning to fish?

I certainly agree that tutorials in searching should be offered to those who are interested in learning basic as well as more advanced techniques.  And if you are part of an academic health center, teaching search skills is part of the job description, I'd suppose. But in a community hospital or other stand-alone or smaller institute, I consider our library to be the same as any other special library, and I'm there to help my patrons find the information they need in order to do their job better and more efficiently.

I wouldn't have expected my users to do their own research when I was a pharmaceutical librarian in a J&J subsidiary (although of course some did), and I don't expect my physician and hospital staff to do their own research either (although again, many are adept and prefer to do their own when they have the time.)

Ardis Weiss
San Antonio Community Hospital