From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Susan Shelly
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2013 5:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Positive indication - learning to fish?

I, too, assist nurse-employee students in their literature searches,
obtain articles for them, and do 1:1 tutorials.  I consider it a great
step to building a relationship with individuals and departments, and (I
hope!) improving some aspect of patient care.

That said, I also emphasize that they should first go to their school
library and librarian for help. I think schools have a moral and ethical
first-line obligation to support these students.  After all, the
students are paying Big Bucks for their education and library services.
Student-employees at for-profit schools tell me they do not have the
kind of library services they need to be able to use databases, search,
and obtain resources.  I wonder if some of these schools feel they can
"dump" these educational responsibilities on hospital librarians.
Frustrating; but the joy is, I get to work with highly motivated nurses!

Sue Shelly
Librarian, John C. Lincoln Health Network
Phoenix, AZ
602.870.6328