>>> " (:) Just wondering. Would we expect our physician or accountant or minister to teach us to fish?  >>>

I would think that the main issue would be status of our relationship.

When we go to a physician or accountant or minister we are the client to be served.
Not students of health, finance, and theology.

When we provide service to a "student" the status of our relationship is that of co-educator.

If the student was given an assignment with the professor's intent that they learn how to do searching, then wouldn't it be unethical of them to have someone else do it ?

If we are enlisted as a co-educator alongside of the professor then we have a responsibility to carry-on with the spirit and intent of the assignment.

I believe that by helping too much we would otherwise be stunting their professional education; we would be doing them a disservice.

--  Of course, if the lesson to be learned is that _if you need an article just ask your librarian to do your searches for you_, then the objective is easily learned.

Todd

--
Todd Puccio
Director of Technical Services / Librarian

Would we expect our physician or accountant or minister to teach us to fish?

Thanks,
Paul Deane
Alexian Brothers Medical Library
800 Biesterfield Rd.
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007

I think this goes to the old adage of teaching a person to fish rather than handing that fish over and sating their hunger for one day rather than giving them the tools that last a lifetime. I would much rather provide the tools and help the student hone them.

Just my two cents' worth.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: