Cool! We are headed there in a coupla weeks!!

Also check out Discovery Mtn and Montana ski bowl, while you are in Missoula.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Denis Bogan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Montana, where the mountains are big, bold, and in your face. Lewis and Clark country. I skied Bridger on Tues and Wed. Tues. was a powder day with 8" new and to my great distress there must have been 1000 cars in the lots. I came to MT to get away from the powder locusts of UT. I shouldn't have worried. The mountain somehow swallowed them up. I found lots of untracked snow and no lift lines. There is plenty of groomed green and blue terrain on the lower mountain. But as you ride up on the admittedly long slow chairs it astonishes as it opens up and steepens. At the top of this huge fan shaped bowl is "the Ridge". You must enter through a control gate with an avalanche beacon, probe, shovel, and partner and convince a ski patroller that you have a big S on your chest. I used to have a small S but it has faded; and I promised my wife (and myself) that I'd no longer do the hairball stuff after turning 70. I found great deep wind deposited powder pockets in the trees on the sid!
 e of the alpine lift. Alta fans will recognize the name, the three bears. It was just as good yesterday and almost nobody was there.

In a Bozeman brewpub, a guy came up and introduced himself who I would have run from in DC. He looked like Jeremiah Johnson, from the movie, might have looked at 75. Rail thin, tall, buckskin clothes, a big cowboy hat and a stringy gray beard about 2 feet long. I'd earlier seen him at my motel. It turns out he is a dealer in western antiques and an auctioneer. He had noticed that i was alone and he didn't want me to feel alone. He wished me the best of luck in my life and in my quest, whatever it was. Now I'm in Missoula, which to my surprise is much like Boulder, lots of liberal bumper stickers on beat up subarus and lots of back to nature types on bicycles. Next I'll ski Lost Trail. People keep telling me about other western MT ski areas that I never heard of, like, Great Divide, Showdown, Blacktail...

Sent from my iPad