Hello Priya,
A gas bench interfaced with a precon (pre-condenser) will combust methane to CO2.
Dana

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 22:26:13 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ISOGEOCHEM] Stable isotopes as tracers
To: [log in to unmask]

Hello,

I am trying to look into possibilities of using stable isotopes as tracers. I am a microbial ecologist, working with sediment samples with very low microbial activity. I am particularly interested in
  stable isotopes such as NaH13CO3, H13COOH as substrates to track methanogensis and other respiratory processes in
 deep environments.

I am writing to find out about analytical instrumentation for this type of analysis. These are spiked samples and not natural abundances and can't be run in most labs with a IR-MS.

1. Are there any labs that will be willing to work with us and help us run these samples?

2. I was told that if labelled methane can be combusted to CO2 independently of the GCC, it is possible to run it in-house.

Obviously I am a novice at this and it would be great if I can be pointed in the right direction. I did try to search the message archives, either I am not putting in the right key words or that this question is probably
 too elemental!!

Thanks for your help,
Priya

Priya Narasingarao, Ph.D