Cindy – Could you also address briefly the subject of births outside the country into Military families of US residents?


Thank you


Paulette M. LaFond

Asst. Town Clerk/Treasurer

Town of Milton

PO Box 18

Milton, VT 05468

802-893-4111 Phone

802-893-1005 - Fax

email: [log in to unmask]






From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Maiberger, Matthew
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 9:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Message from Vital Records Office at the Vermont Dept. of Health


Attention Town/City Clerks who process Vital Records:


The Vermont Passport Agency contacted our Vital Records Office yesterday regarding potentially fraudulent birth certificates.  They had three different cases where they had been presented with a copy of an individual's birth certificate from another state certified on the State of Vermont engraved security paper by a Vermont town clerk.  This is a direct violation of Title 24, Chapter 35, 1164 of the Vermont Statutes Annotated. We contacted the individual clerks and verified that they had issued these copies thinking it was okay because the out-of-state certificates were recorded in their offices.


Please be reminded that only vital events which occurred in Vermont can be issued and certified on the State of Vermont security paper.  Though a resident of your town may request that his/her marriage certificate issued from another state, or the birth certificate of his/her child issued from another state, be recorded in your office (18 V.S.A. 5015), those records shall not be copied and certified (24 V.S.A. 1164).


Please be sure to share this with other staff in your office who may issue certified copies of Vermont births, deaths, marriages, and civil unions.


Thank you for your attention to this matter.  If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.


Cindy Hooley

Vital Statistics Information Manager

Vermont Department of Health

Vital Records Office



Disclaimer, please be advised that your email communication to the Town may be considered public record and may be subject to disclosure under the Vermont Open Public Records Act.