We treat shortages the same way, but if they overpay and it's under $1 we put it in the penny cup. If it's more than that we ask if they want a refund or want to apply it to the following year.

At 01:31 PM 3/12/2013, you wrote:
Barre City refunds overages that are $10 or more.  Anything under that, we document and turn over to unclaimed property.  As for shortages, we will attempt to collect the amount, usually by calling the taxpayer and asking for permission to amend their check.  If itís a very small amount (say under 50 cents) weíll just pay out of our penny cup.  We donít turn amounts under $1 delinquent, so if they end up with an unpaid balance of less than $1, we abate it.

Carol

Carolyn S. Dawes, CVT
Barre City Clerk/Treasurer
6 North Main St.
PO Box 418
Barre, VT   05641
(802) 476-0242 phone
(802) 476-0264 fax
www.barrecity.org

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [ mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Braintree Treasurer
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Property tax overpayments/shortages

Good Afternoon Ė

Iím curious as to what other towns do with property tax overpayments and shortages.  Iím guessing you refund overages but to what limit?  Also, if someone shorts their payment Ė do you just right it off and up to what amount?

Thank you.

Jessica Brassard
Braintree Town Clerk/Treasurer/DTC
932 VT Rte 12A
Braintree, VT  05060
Ph - 802-728-9787
Fax - 802-728-9742

NOTICE:  Under Vermont's public records law, documents - including e-mail - in the possession of public officials about town business are classified as public records.  This means if anyone asks to see it, we are required to provide it.  There are very few exceptions.  We welcome citizen comments and want to hear from our residents, but please keep in mind that what you write in an e-mail is not private and could show up in the local newspaper.

NOTICE: Under Vermontís public records law, documents - including e-mail - in the possession of public officials about town business are classified as public records. This means if anyone asks to see it, we are required to provide it. There are very few exceptions. We welcome citizen comments and want to hear from our residents, but please keep in mind that what you write in an e-mail is not private and could show up in the local newspaper.

Bobbi Brimblecombe
Marshfield Town Clerk
122 School Street, Room 1
Marshfield, VT 05658