Hi Carol-


If the City has adopted the newer VSARA General Record Schedules (“GRS”) (and we encourage municipalities to adopt and begin using the GRS) then, for your question below, I suggest looking to the Personnel GRS 1304.1103 and specifically the record type for “Authorizations” at page 2 of 9 of that GRS.


More on the GRS and how to adopt them at:


Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.




Trevor Lewis

Records Analyst &

Local Records Program Coordinator

Vermont State Archives & Records Administration

1078 U.S. Route 2, Middlesex

Montpelier, VT 05633-7701

802-828-1005 (tel.) | 802-828-3710 (fax)

802-828-3700 (main switchboard)

[log in to unmask]

“Records management is like elevator maintenance.

It's not noticed until it's gone, or something goes wrong.” (unknown)

"Information management policies are not a dark or novel art" Hon. David Nuffer, U.S. Magistrate Judge, District of Utah, 2009



From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carol Dawes
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Records retention question - staff benefit applications


Hi all,


With an impending staff change in the Barre City manager’s office (our administrative assistant/HR director of nearly 30 years is retiring), we’re digging through nearly 30 years’ worth of boxes of records, trying to purge what we can.  We haven’t been able to find anything on the VSARA website regarding records retention/disposition of staff benefit applications.  Does anybody have any info on them – do we need to keep them for any specific period of time?  Can we get rid of them?






Carolyn S. Dawes, CVT

Barre City Clerk/Treasurer

6 North Main St.

PO Box 418

Barre, VT   05641

(802) 476-0242 phone

(802) 476-0264 fax