Once upon a time (perhaps last year?) you came to Marshfield to look at some of the records that we have for elections. Have you found any time to work on an elections retention schedule? Do you need any help?


At 01:28 PM 3/19/2013, you wrote:
Hi Carol-
If the City has adopted the newer VSARA General Record Schedules (“GRS”) (and we encourage municipalities to adopt and begin using the GRS) then, for your question below, I suggest looking to the Personnel GRS 1304.1103 and specifically the record type for “Authorizations” at page 2 of 9 of that GRS.
More on the GRS and how to adopt them at:
Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.
Trevor Lewis
Records Analyst &
Local Records Program Coordinator
Vermont State Archives & Records Administration
1078 U.S. Route 2, Middlesex
Montpelier, VT 05633-7701
802-828-1005 (tel.) | 802-828-3710 (fax)
802-828-3700 (main switchboard)
[log in to unmask]
“Records management is like elevator maintenance.
It's not noticed until it's gone, or something goes wrong.”
"Information management policies are not a dark or novel art" Hon. David Nuffer, U.S. Magistrate Judge, District of Utah, 2009

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [ mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carol Dawes
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Records retention question - staff benefit applications
Hi all,
With an impending staff change in the Barre City manager’s office (our administrative assistant/HR director of nearly 30 years is retiring), we’re digging through nearly 30 years’ worth of boxes of records, trying to purge what we can.  We haven’t been able to find anything on the VSARA website regarding records retention/disposition of staff benefit applications.  Does anybody have any info on them – do we need to keep them for any specific period of time?  Can we get rid of them?
Carolyn S. Dawes, CVT
City Clerk/Treasurer
6 North Main St.
PO Box 418
Barre , VT   05641
(802) 476-0242 phone
(802) 476-0264 fax

NOTICE: Under Vermont’s public records law, documents - including e-mail - in the possession of public officials about town business are classified as public records. This means if anyone asks to see it, we are required to provide it. There are very few exceptions. We welcome citizen comments and want to hear from our residents, but please keep in mind that what you write in an e-mail is not private and could show up in the local newspaper.

Bobbi Brimblecombe
Marshfield Town Clerk
122 School Street, Room 1
Marshfield, VT 05658
(802) 426-3305
[log in to unmask]