Nope, we don't have land records software that allows us to do that (yet).  She doesn't want to redact on the original because her client wants the certificate back without the redaction.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Bobbi Brimblecombe
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: Recording death certificates in the land records.

If you don't have land records software that allows you to redact (but still produce a "true" copy if necessary), why doesn't she give you a redacted copy for recording?

At 02:52 PM 3/19/2013, you wrote:
Good afternoon clerks,
A lawyer has brought in a deed and transfer tax return for her client.  She wants me to record it along with the death certificate of her client's husband.
She wants me to record the death certificate and then redact  the social security number on the land record copy.  I responded that then it would not be a "true copy" of what she asked me to record.

Not sure what I'm supposed to do.  Any and all help will be appreciated.
Susan in Newbury

NOTICE: Under Vermontís public records law, documents - including e-mail - in the possession of public officials about town business are classified as public records. This means if anyone asks to see it, we are required to provide it. There are very few exceptions. We welcome citizen comments and want to hear from our residents, but please keep in mind that what you write in an e-mail is not private and could show up in the local newspaper.

Bobbi Brimblecombe
Marshfield Town Clerk
122 School Street, Room 1
Marshfield, VT 05658
(802) 426-3305
[log in to unmask]