Thanks for the clarification, Coulter. Josue, anyone who wants to will be free to create an account.

Sam

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Coulter King <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Just to clarify how email notifications work for phpBB forums (which is the widely popular open source forum software that the APDA forum and most other halfway decent forums use):
  • You could subscribe to get an email notification whenever a new topic is posted anywhere
  • You could subscribe to get an email notification whenever a new topic is posted in a specific subforum (e.g., I only want to hear when someone posts in a tournament announcements section, but not when people are discussing other random issues)
  • You could subscribe to get updates whenever new responses are posted to individual topics
None of these would include the actual text of posts, but the nice thing is that this allows you to more easily filter out the stuff you don't care about. In the case of APDA, most people don't really use the email alerts and instead just check the forum every few days, subscribing to updates for threads they really care about and ignoring the stuff that doesn't matter to them (long theoretical discussions about different norms, updates about tournaments they're not attending, etc.).

And anyone would be able to join the forum, as they could an email list