Hello Vermont Birders:

I was straining to ID a very distant bird way out on the lake while
standing on the shore at Blodgett Beach this morning. My gut was saying
Red-necked Grebe but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Thankfully, a Coast
Guard boat came zooming by and flushed the speck bird. A long take-off,
trailing feet, and white wing patches both on the leading edge and the
trailing edge of the wings clinched it.

A Common Loon was visible from there as well. Otherwise it was pretty quiet
on the lake.

Icterids are everywhere in Chittenden County today.

Forty-one Bohemian Waxwings were at the entrance to Oakledge Park this
morning as well.

Cheers,

Eric Hynes
Hinesburg