Six hours over the last two nights and 27 specifically chosen stops
later (from Shoreham to Ferrisburgh) I had a response tonight to a
recorded Long-eared Owl song.  (The song is the slow cadence of solitary
hu's).  The response was not the song, but its call, and was given at
almost the same cadence as the song.  The call, to my ear, sounds like
the quiet, plaintive, fading cry of an uncertain and anxious cat.  After
perhaps 20-30 seconds of the call, I did not hear the bird again.  The
time was 8:44 pm, long after the onset of the complete dark of night.

Interestingly, the location was at exactly the same place that Mike
Winslow and I heard a hooting Long-eared Owl, along with Screech, Great
Horned, and Barred Owls during the 2009 Ferrisburgh CBC at about 5:00 am
on December 19th ..... near the South Slang boat ramp and fishing access
on Hawkins Road.

Ian