This morning Ian Worley and I visited several locations on Lake Champlain. Our first stop was Potash Bay in Addison which is still where the northern most edge of ice still is. On that edge was a flock of well over one thousand gulls, mostly Ring-billed and Herring, with a few Black-backeds sprinkled in. Our intent was to find Iceland Gull, but came up empty on that account.

We did however find a gull we believed might be the Slaty-backed Gull we saw on Saturday. When we spotted it, it was resting on the ice approximately 700 meters away, right in front of a Black-backed Gull which was doing the same, and it appeared to be smaller and have lighter coloring on its back. We spent the next 30-45 minutes watching the bird in hopes that it would show us something to confirm the ID. It occasionally poked its head up a bit giving us hints that it might have streaking on it, but we never got a definitive look. Eventually the whole flock spooked and I was able to track it into the air, getting looks that seemed to confirm the impression of size and coloring, but again, nothing definitive. We lost it in the air, and when the flock landed again, we weren't able to find it again. So, for whatever it's worth, we wanted to give notice that there is a chance that the bird is still out there.

Other highlights of the day were the two Snow Geese (but no White-fronteds) at Button Bay, and 19 Bald Eagles at Fields/Kellogg Bay.

 --
Ron Payne
Middlebury, VT