Friday, March 29th, between 5:15-6:00pm, I witnessedthe following at Shelburne Bay, Chittenden County, Vermont.

The bay was quiet with the usual Ring-billed Gulls, Canada Geeseand Mallards.  I was thinking I wouldleave when suddenly, a Bald Eagle flew in and frightened off a Ring-billed Gullwho was dining on a  recent catch. The BAEA took the food to a telephone wireperch and consumed it. The BAEA, looked out at the lake and waited for about 5minutes. Then, it flew and frightened away 3 Great Black-backed Gulls on an icefloe, who left their fish dinner behind.  As the BAEA held the fish with talons and toreaway at it with his beak, the ice suddenly gave way and only the BAEA's headand large wings, which were spread out, could be seen. BAEA seemed surprised,turning head back and forth several times, probably wondering 'what the heck?'.It then swam, doing a very powerful breast stroke (wings did not come out ofthe water) about 50 yards to ice closer to shore. It stayed on the ice for about10 minutes ‘toweling off’ and then flew up into a tree to the left of the lake-shorehomes.  It was witnessed by 3 otherpeople.  Sorry, there isn’t a video.

Louanne Nielsen
Jericho, VT