yeah, I think it was when he said that he like skiing ice more than powder or some strange idea.....

what an interesting time.  It was really before the serious backcountry stuff started, back when hiking to ski Castlerock was core.....

Mike

On Mar 8, 2013, at 3:25 PM, Mark P. Renson wrote:

That be Todd Murchison.  He was rude, really RUDE.  He is the only known lister to have directly insulted another's skiing ability.  He insulted Dougie's skiing ability.  He also blew up at Dr Kamien for having the audacity to mention that he (Dr Kamien) liked skiing Eastern trees better than Western trees and Todd questioned Dr Kamien's doctorate education because of that in a long winded tirade.  That was in 1999.  Then Todd returned for Gawd only knows what reason and called himself "The Gravity Guru" which at first I thought was a hoax until further examination revealed that he was serious.  He mentioned that he did not ski off-piste at all that season (1999) at Jay Peak and then Duph pointed out to him that circles of friends form that go get the goods even in bad years to which Duph questioned that to the effect of "you mean to tell us that you didn't make ANY friends at all the year you were at Jay".

Mike Taub loved Todd, especially!

Mark P. Renson

From: John Mc <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, March 8, 2013 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] The Magic Door

Wachusett trip report.  15 inches of nice, light pow shared with 1,000 of my closest friends. A foot of hard crusty snow coupled with the new snow meant the entire mountain was skiable.  Every bit of woods is doable if you are willing to tolerate the occasional whips to the face.  Regardless of any list whispering or full-on internets shouting about stashes, old or new, there are no secrets on that mountain.  People were everywhere and they were all having a blast.  Get it while you can ... mid 50s coming Sun/Mon/Tue.

Casually reading through the recent posts about daehkcids and infamous spats between list longhairs, newcomers, etc.  I recall what I believe to have been the MOAS -- mother of all spats.  It involved a guy named Todd who moved to Jay Peak from Wolf Creek, Co.  For numerous reasons, he rubbed people the wrong way.  The imbroglio which followed (involving I believe Mark R and others) was legendary, funny, nasty, and prolonged.  Was a low snow winter -- 1997?