Matt --

Do you mean "wreak" havoc? Or "wreck" havoc?

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Matthew Kulas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Word has it that both the Old Indian Trail & the Pine Hill Trail were skiing nicely on Friday.

With yesterday being "W. Day," the day we celebrate President George W. Bush's best decision of his time in office--his 2005 signing into law the move of the start of Daylight Saving Time approximately three weeks earlier in the year--it seemed that there would be no better way than to hit Wachusett's mighty slopes at 4 p.m.

The sun was still shining and corn snow abounded. Frannie's Folly furnished fun first tele turns. The Smith Walton steeps were covered with good-sized, well-spaced, relatively soft bumps. Balance Rock--normally closed during the night-skiing hours of 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.--was a delightful meander down. A foray into the woods skier's right off Balance Rock to Roper's Road was not a poor decision. As the sun moved behind the mountain the piles of soft snow firmed up slightly, but only marginally so. At about a quarter to six, they had finished grooming Smith Walton, and with some deft maneuvering, I was able to lay first tracks down the headwall's unblemished corduroy before a hoard of straight-lining, largely incompetent boarders & skiers enveloped and passed me. With a liftline starting to form, it seemed like a good run to end the night on.

Let's only hope that this week's warm-up does not wreck too much havoc upon the snowpack.

Think snow!

--Matt K.