Over subscription rates. Schools are a large bandwidth consumers, home
users (in theory) will have much lower sustained download upload figures. I
bet they have a soft cap somewhere. Gigabit Internet connection speeds are
kinda meaningless as many sites cap data transfer to a single IP address to
keep resources available.

Our Vtel Internet port is 25mb u/d but I have seen burst as high as 200mb.
The district as a whole had generated sustained traffic of 18mb, but
because of the burst speeds has yet to feel the effects of a slow down. I
have seen inter-school data transfers near 900 mb.

--
Chris Moody
Systems Administrator