Keith, Steve,  and others..I have been missing on School IT for past couple of days.. though did here about this conversation yesterday while we were talking 1:1 in Burlington...  I have a time to discuss this with lawyers here, it does pose an interesting problem.. But, my gut tells me this...

This is a school computer, provided to the student with restrictions imposed via the AUP in place.  The students are supposed to be using it for school and education related functions.  Streaming a home account Netflix movie that is inappropriate in the school context is to me a clear violation of that AUP.

It is a choice of the user to have the Netflix account save the password.. OR a choice of the user to have the browser save passwords.. at least on my browsers I get an ask dialogue box if I want to save the passwords. (even then, It is my choice ot have the browser save all passwords)..   If in the course of the "search" of the unit by the tech they find access to Netflix is left open and that is the root of the issue, then yes, they have every right to review that history to ascertain that the student was accessing material that was violating the AUP conditions.

Before calling lawyers, I think the best tact is a frank discussion with the parent, an administrator, and student about AUP, trust in the school environment, and the inappropriate nature of viewing that material at school.   Steer the conversation back to the learning opportunities that the device is intended for, and move on.    In the end, you don't want this to result in yanked access to the device for the student.

As George said so well.. not a lawyer, but playing one here in email.

PD

Peter Drescher
Education Technology Coordinator
Vermont Agency of Education
Integrated Support for Learning Division
120 State St.
Montpelier, VT  05620
Ph.: 802.828.5149
FAX: 802.828.0573