HMM
I had never noticed this before.. so I decided to try it with the notes I'm taking at the workshop I'm attending today.
I looks like it works from my Gmail account as described...
This document has the the setting to private  with 2 people having access.
Then I hit publish and got this URL
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10L4HGdhrXBJTK011G44bBCkiSyA5DKQ0Zy0hUQ_xnQ4/pub
I tested it in another browser and it seems to work..

So the question is can we replicate the process from within a Domain...
So I tried it with a document from inside one of the domains I have access to
and it seemed to work
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_jU_KzVr4y_A7X4Q7ks17asVjQTN3uAN1bYeNbGPjag/pub

But I seem to remember some complaints about inconsistent or unpredictable results like those mentioned here.

Eric's speculations seems like a very probable one and worth exploring..
I'll do more playing with this idea, Eric.  And I'll also bring this up next week during our GCT retooling session at Google headquarters.

It's a great place to bring some of issues that leave us scratching our head.

Bjorns method is the method I usually use.. but I'll try to see if I can replicate the problem Diane described.

Lucie