I have my students learn about and then take apart hard drives and other parts.  Once they get their hands on the hard drive platters they are not in any shape to be read.  The kids love this project.

We also work with Good Point recycling in Middlebury VT for an Electronic Recycling Day.  They reformat to CIA specs and/or destroy them.  I will get more info out on this.

Phyllis
Media Center Director
The Dorset School