Hi Rob,

I'm not sure if this fits!

But I started the Trip Database (www.tripdatabase.com) to help me answer
clinical questions for general practitioners in South East Wales, UK.  I
had no intention of making it available to a wider group.  I had a chance
conversation with a techie and managed to get it placed on the web.  This
got picked up by a UK, EBM publication called Bandolier (
http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/band49/b49ads.html) and it has grown
since then.

Last year we went past our 100 millionth search and have over 50,000
registered users.

Best wishes

jon

--