I rented a Subaru Forester a few years ago in Utah/Wyoming.  Fun toy, but struggled a bit making it up 'n over Teton Pass.

Get a Toyota, instead.  I've driven the 4 cylinder 4WD pick ups since 1994.  Let's see: 19 years, 3 trucks and 644,000 miles and I've had to get 2 separate cracked U-Joints taken care of as well as some wheel bearings replaced.  Then a radio button fell off.  That's all....... though it helps that I drive like a whose.  The one I currently have has 189000 miles on it and since it's getting a bit long in the tooth, I have to punch it to 85+ MPH crossing the White River bridge in order to get the necessary mo' to make it up the subsequent big hill on I-89 in Sharon but other than that, it runs fine.  It also has what it takes to handle rotarys and other bemusing assorted Boston area traffic scenarios and believe you me, there's lots of 'em.

Mark P. Renson

From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Seeking list wisdom on Subarus

I was sold on Legacy sedans after watching EO&apos;s old machine billowing snow over the hood.

My 1997 Legacy GT sedan blew it&apos;s headgasket at the end of a sporty ride up and over the Roxbury Gap, somewhere just short of 100k.  This was a weekly route when we had a rental on Lincoln Gap road so lots of steep ups and downs. Thanks to MikeW for the rescue.  I ended up replacing the short block on this car and my cousin is still ripping around with somewhere over 180k on the clock.

I replaced the 1997 with a 2009 Legacy sedan.  I bought it with 17k and a whining drive.  2 days after the private sale the dealer swapped the entire transaxle under warrantee after finding the fluid full of metal filings.  Not sure if this was a one time failure but haven&apos;t heard of any others with this failure.

2 Subarus, 2 major failures.  Other than those 2 issues I&apos;ve had nothing but endless confident snowy rides.  The sedan is perfectly balanced and if it does skid it will be the most predictable, drivable skid.  In nascar terms it&apos;s just a tiny bit loose,  with no hint of a push.

I&apos;ve never had a clearance issue in the non-outback models.  I&apos;ve driven in all conditions and at worst needed a little extra speed to power through a deeper pile, and good snows always help.

And Ortiz just hit a bomb to dead center.

Patrick Haskell &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt; wrote:

We've got a 2007 Forester and a 2011 imprezza with the 2.5L engine, both with about 60K on them. so this is something that I've thinking about lately.  Subaru's headgasket issues have genreally gotten better over the years, but they never truly went away.  The last 1990s vintages were the worst, not because they had the most problems, but because they allowed antifreeze to get into the engine oil, which could wreck the engine.  The early 2000-era 2.5L engines primarily suffer from oil leaking out, rather than from hidden internal leakage with the 2004-2005 being better than the 2000-2003, and the 2006 and later being better than 2004-2005.  That being said, it's still an issue with their 2.5 L engines.  The 3.0L V6s are much more solid, as are the turbocharged 2.5L engines and the 2.2L engines, aside from the original year Outback Sport.

The head gaskets typically go bewteen 100K to 150K miles, unless they are being driven at high speeds or up and down mountain passes, in which case they can go sooner.  If you are looking at an Outback with 100K, you might want to factor in the cost of head gasket replacement, which will probably run you $1,000 to $1,500, depending on who works on your car.  Note also that Subarus usaully get their timing belt changed at around 100 to 120K, as regular maintenance.  When this gets done, the engine will already be pulled and open, making the head gasket replacement be much less costly (shouldn't add more than a couple $100).  I would definitely recommend changing the head gasket then as preventative maintenance.

There are other after market fixes to help with this problem, but they really aren't worth doing until you are changing the head gasket.  They range from sealants to put on the gasket to help extend it's life to re-tapping and bolting parts of the engine around the head gasket, so parts don't move around as much there, but I haven't gotten around to researching those, as I'm still a couple years away from having to face this issue.

- Patrick