On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Kevin Broderick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
A few related thoughts:
a) Any particular recommendations on the snow chains?

I've had decent luck with the Thule CB12 model, which retails for ~$75 on amazon.com

I say "decent" because I broke one this year on App Gap, but in fairness to the chain it was me who put it on wrong and drove with it after being forgetful of the instructions after a long summer mental hibernation. I bought another pair, same model.

Chains are a PITA, no doubt about it, but these are easy enough to deal with and definitely work. Installation is a couple minutes per side in real world conditions (heavy snow, nighttime, etc.) I havent been prevented from ascending any maintained road since purchasing them. I am happy enough with the idea of them that my next pair of snow tires will not be studded - that should make winter highway driving in turn more enjoyable.

Evan