At 08:52 AM 5/8/2013, David Merfeld wrote:

>If you want steeps, shopping, and gourmet restaurants, you go to
>Snowbasin; if you want to ski untracked powder, you go to
>Powder.  Given the topography at Powder, they will never have
>steeps.  Let's hope they can avoid the shopping and restaurants.

What shopping is there at Snowbasin?

What's wrong with good food at a ski resort? Why would you want
Powder Mtn to avoid the restaurants? Their food sucks right now, and
that's when they have enough. (I've been there when they've sold out
of burgers *and* brats - seriously? At a ski area???)

As far as shopping, they have just as much as Snowbasin. The best
thing the new owners of Powder can do is raze the two old decrepit
base lodges, replacing them with something more modern (but still
rustic - and they needn't be at the opulence level of Snowbasin) and
hire a great executive chef. The access road desperately needs
regrading as well. There are several times each season when PM is
inaccessible until the road is hammered into shape - there's one
pitch that is something like an 11% grade.

Snowbasin is just as good for untracked powder as Powder Mtn, if you
know the place. And Powder Mtn. does have  steeps, if you know the
place (and the side country), although not in the plenitude of Snowbasin.

-m1