If you want steeps, shopping, and gourmet restaurants, you go to Snowbasin; if you want to ski untracked powder, you go to Powder.  Given the topography at Powder, they will never have steeps.  Let’s hope they can avoid the shopping and restaurants.

My favorite memory of this place was 6 years ago.  Our grandson Noah, now 12, was with us for a long weekend.  It was about 3:15, he had just finished his 27th full day of ski school, and we were taking a few runs with him:

“But Poppy, why do I have to keep taking lessons?”

“’’Cause I want you to be good enough to ski with us.”

“If I can ski with you, can I stop taking lessons?”

“Sure, but we ski the trees and the untracked; you have to keep up with us there.”

“OK, I can do it.”

“Let’s go, dude.”

And that was it.  Knee deep on us, and thigh deep on him, and he cut it up beautifully.  No more lessons for that boy.  We had created a powder junkie.  Since then, we have had to medicate him regularly with trips to the Rockies, Cascades, Wasatch, Sierras, and Alps.

We are doing the same with his 8-year-old cousin Henry, who dislikes the lessons as much as the 12-year-old.  With the wisdom of his advanced years, Noah patiently explains to Henry that Poppy and Grannie are right, and that Henry will come to thank us some day.  When that day comes, we will take Henry to Powder Mountain too, I hope.

David Merfeld CPA, P.C.

Certified Public Accountant

21 Merchants Row

Boston MA 02109

617.248.1901

CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE:
Treasury Regulations require me to inform you that any Federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.