The fact of the matter is, you can get rooms there at very reasonable rates.  All you have to do is call them and negotiate.  They frequently rent rooms at way below the rates that are advertised.   They will do what they have to keep their rooms occupied.

It is easy to see who is staying there because of stickers the hotel puts on their guests skis.  So I often ask people what they paid for their rooms.  People are often getting rooms for far less then $150 a night.   Needless to say, hotel owners in Stowe are not happy.

Like it or not when the rooms cost the same, most *tourist* would rather stay at a place like the Stowe Mountain Lodge than an old classic like the Mad River Barn.

I am willing to bet it is the same story at Jay.