From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Diane Smit
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 4:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Venous Duplex Protocol

Thanks for your response Pat.
The reason I posted this on UVMFLOWNET was because per request of our
technical director I had to meet with our lab manager to explain why I was
not following protocol as written although all the images were in the study
just not in the order written. The meeting seem to go well as he will do
further investigating as to whether we should re-write the existing
protocol. I was hoping to get professional opinions from other labs that
would help him further with this decision so I truly do appreciate the time
taken to respond.

> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 15:35:33 -0700
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Venous Duplex Protocol
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> I have never been a fan of doing a protocol exactly as it is written. If I
perform a thorough exam of the entire leg, I don't think it makes any sense
that everyone does it the same. I fully believe in "telling the story" of
the leg and how I perform my venous exams might make sense to me (regarding
the order that I do things) but might not make sense for another
technologist. If the scan is done thoroughly, I believe that is more
important than the order in which the vessels were scanned. IMHO Pat

www.southbaysurgeons.com Phone: 310.373.6864, [log in to unmask]
> The information in this email, including attachments, may be confidential
and/or privileged and may contain confidential health information. This
email is intended to be reviewed only by the individual or organization
named as addressee. If you have received this email in error please notify
Association Of South Bay Surgeons immediately - by return message to the
sender - and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.
Confidential health information is protected by state and federal law,
including, but not limited to, the Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act of 1996 and related regulations.

followed with doppler with augmentation then same images with femoral vein
and popliteal vein.
> My concern is augmenting CFV then Femoral vein without knowing is there
may be a unattached thrombus so I image in transverse down entire leg with
compressions then do doppler with augmention but with doing this I'm not
following our venous protocol in the order it is written. I support studies
being structured but I just cannot follow this protocol as written, I would
like to know what other labs do.