I have seen a couple cases where female patients have requested a female tech for lower extremity ultrasounds. There are also a couple male technologists in my lab that will ask me to perform a study if the patient is a young female (teens to 25 years old). It's not that we have ever had a problem, but why risk making a patient uncomfortable if you don't have to? Personally, if I were going to have a test done that required me to take my pants off, I would be more comfortable with a female tech, but if asked, I would decline a chaperone or change of tech. I can't be the only young female that wouldn't want to hurt the male tech's feelings.

Amy Hoggatt, BS, RVT

-----Original Message-----
From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sushumna
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2013 3:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: protocol for opposite sexes

Just out of curiosity, why were you uncomfortable and did you report this?  Would a chaperone have been available for you if you asked?   Likewise, I have not had an issue with peripheral vascular and certainly hope we never see the day someone is asked not to scan in the inguinal crease, or mandate a chaperone for them to do so based on gender.  Many places have "internal" policies restricting male sonographers from performing a variety of exams i.e. Breast, TV, despite never having a problem but have not seen any "written" policies and we probably won't.  There "is" a double standard as originally stated, in fact in the past 29 years I've not heard of one female sonographer being told they need a chaperone to perform a testicular exam?