	*Office of the President*

	June 14, 2013

/From:/Tom Sullivan, President
Robert Low, Interim Provost

/To: /// UVM Community

/RE:/*Dean of the College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
Appointment ? ****Dr. Luis Garcia *

    We are pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Luis Garcia as
    Dean of the College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences at The
    University of Vermont, effective August 15, 2013. In addition, Dr.
    Garcia has been named the Barrett Foundation Professor in the College.

    Dr. Garcia is currently Head of the Department of Civil and
    Environmental Engineering at Colorado State University and Professor
    of Civil and Environmental Engineering.Dr. Garcia has been a member
    of the Colorado State University faculty since 1991, and has served
    in his current position since 2005.He also serves as the Director of
    the Integrated Decision Support Group in The Water Center at
    Colorado State University. A group that he created shortly after
    arriving at Colorado State University. In addition, he served as the
    Associate Director of the Colorado Agricultural Experiment Station
    for five years.

    Dr. Garcia is an accomplished researcher, with 54 refereed papers
    published or in press in the leading civil or environmental
    engineering publications and over 150 presentations at conferences,
    symposia or workshops. His primary area of research is Decision
    Support Systems, calculations of evapotranspiration (ET), remote
    sensing of ET, and spatial analysis in natural systems, specifically
    in applications for water resources and irrigation and drainage. He
    has been the single principal investigator on over 70 projects with
    a total funding of over $6 million. As Director of the Integrated
    Decision Support Group, he has been the principal investigator or
    co-principal investigator on more than 95 funded projects with total
    funding over $12 million.He is an active member of the America
    Society of Civil Engineers and is an elected member of the United
    States Committee on Irrigation and Drainage.For a more detailed
    articulation of Dr. Garcia?s professional background, please look
    for the press release on his appointment on the UVM home page:
    http://www.uvm.edu/ .

    We wish to thank the faculty, staff, and students who served on the
    Search Committee, so ably chaired by Dr. Sanjay Sharma along with
    vice chair Dr. Darren Hitt, for their outstanding efforts to bring
    this search to such a positive conclusion.

    We also want to extend special appreciation to Interim Dean Chip
    Cole for his dedication and leadership, that he has brought to this
    important position.

    We hope all members of our community will give Dr. Garcia and his
    family a warm welcome to UVM when he begins his work as Dean over
    the summer.

    Cc:University of Vermont Board of Trustees